The Column Settings dialog box (accessible from the Format menu, context menu, or right-click menu) allows you to specify the text wrapping to apply to column headers in module and dashboard grids. It also lets you adjust the width of columns. The default value is 80 pixels per column—you can increase or decrease this value.
All users can set text wrapping and change column widths for their current view (while the module is open), but only Workspace Administrators can save the adjusted column width in a view.
Wrap Text in Headers
You can specify exactly how the text in column headings is wrapped. Text can be wrapped across one, two, or three lines. When deciding how to wrap text, bear in mind:
- Wrapping the text in column headers is only available for grids on dashboards or modules.
- Your configuration will be honored, no matter what the content of the column header. If you specify that the column header should be split across two lines, and the column contains the text Sept 15, then the word Sept will be on line one, and the word 15 on line two, even if both words will fit on line one.
- If your columns are narrow, words might be clipped at both the beginning and the end. For example, entertainment becomes tertainme. Using the Fit to Page option will solve this problem, as will making the words in the headings as short as possible.
- Where there are nested grids—more than one dimension across the top of the page—text wrapping will only apply to the lowest level of heading. For example, if you placed the Time dimension above the Product Name dimension, across the top of the page, only the headings for Product Name would be wrapped.
The formatting will follow these conventions:
- You can specify that column text be wrapped to a maximum of three lines.
- Margins will be provided between text in headers and text on grid lines.
- Columns headers will be wrapped in such a way that words are not split across lines.
- Where a word is wider than the column width it will be truncated rather than wrapped.
- If the Fit to Page option is selected, where a word is wider than the column width, the grid will be adjusted to fit the space.
- Where you have line items as column headers, you may find that grids look slightly different when exported to .pdf. The column width calculations may adjust the column widths slightly to accommodate expected volumes of data in cells formatted as, say, boolean or email.
Adjust column settings
To change the width of a column, on the Format menu click Column Settings.
Or, right-click on a column or row header on a dashboard grid and click Column Settings.
The Column Settings dialog displays.
- The Wrap Text in Headers box enables you to specify text wrapping options for grid headers.
You can change the width of all columns, by entering a new value in the Default Columns Width. Or, drag the arrow on the ruler and the value in the
Default Columns Width box adjusts accordingly .
- You can adjust individual column widths by entering values in the appropriate fields.
- Click OK. Or, click Reset to Default to discard your changes.
- Workspace Administrators can save the current column widths by clicking Save on the View menu .
- Select the Save as default view for module check box, if you want users to see the columns in the new format. Click Save.