Subscribe and check your user settings
To use PlanIQ, ask to subscribe. Contact your Anaplan Business Partner for a subscription, and ensure you're assigned the workspace administrator role.
Set your model calendar
In Models, the model calendar creates your Time dimension settings which are applied to your data collection.
- In Model calendar, set your calendar type to Calendar Months/Quarters/Years.
- Set Past years to cover the time period of your historic data.
- Set Future years to cover the time period of your predictions.
You need this so you can import your predictions into the forecast results module.
Create a historical data module
In Models, prepare a module with your historical data. Add an export action, so the data is ready to export out to PlanIQ.
To create the historical data:
- Prepare a list of your items that you want to use as predictions, and make this an item_id dimension. For example, a list of SKU items.
- Make the item_id and add a Time dimension as rows. Then, make the line item a column.
Add the values you want to base the predictions on. For example, units sold to the line item dimension.
- In Blueprint, set the line item as a number, and add your historic values. For example, the number of units sold per month.
Add an export action
You need to export your historic data into PlanIQ's data collection setup. PlanIQ can use historic data to identify data patterns that help generate predictions.
To do this, you need to add an export action to your historical data module. To create the export action:
- Open the historical data module and select Data>Export. Then select Layout.
- For Export format, select comma separated values (.csv).
- Select Omit empty rows and Omit summary items. Then select the Labels tab.
- Select Include row headers.
- Select Save export definition.
- Then select Run export.
The CSV file downloads, and your export action is ready to use.
Create a forecast results module
Next, prepare a module to import your forecast results into. Create an import action to run the import.
To create a forecast results module:
- Insert a module and include the item_id and Time dimension used in your historical data module. Format them as rows.
- Create a new list called forecast_action_name. Add this list as a page/context selector dimension.
The line items in this list should match the names of the forecast actions you create in PlanIQ. For example, Forecast 1, Forecast 2, Forecast 3.
- Create three more line items called P1, P2, and P3 and add them as columns.
These are for the predictions generated for each quantile value.
Add an import action
You need an import action so PlanIQ can import its predictions into your forecast results module.
To create an import action:
- Open the forecast results module, and select Data>Import.
- Select Upload New File... and upload this CSV file.
- In the Set Default File dropdown, select either Admins Only, or Everyone. Then select Next.
Now, you need to map the CSV file to the import action:
- Select the Mapping tab. Then select Only update imported cells, and map the source columns to the target columns.
If you decide to map the forecast action, map it to the forecast_action_name dimension in your forecast results module.
- In Forecast results Line Items, select Map items manually.
- Select the Time tab and select Dates.
Ensure the date format is Y-M-D, and select Run import.
Next, how to generate your forecasts in PlanIQ.