As a workspace administrator, you can order a list in a module using the Order List action. This is useful when you need a specific order for list items that you can easily update. For example, you might want to order an employee list based on start date, or performance ranking.
You can use Order List to order both flat and composite lists. The action orders the lowest level of the list.
If there's more than one line item in the module, you can create multiple order list actions.
If there are multiple repeated values, the original order for those values is respected. Empty cells are treated as zero. Zero values display at the top of the list for ascending order, and bottom of the list for descending order.
Before you create an Order List action for a module, ensure that the following criteria are met:
- The module must have one list only, and must have at least one list item.
- The line items that you're sorting on must be formatted as either Text: General, Number, Date, or Time Period.
If a line item is formatted as Text: General, numbers can be entered as numerals. For example, you could have the following numerals in an unordered list: 1, 2, 31, 11, 3. When you run the action, the list items sort according to alphabetic order: 1, 11, 2, 3, 31.
Note: You can only run the Order List action on lists with fewer than 1 million items.
Create an Order List action
To create an Order List action:
- In the Actions pane, click New Action and select Order List.
- Enter the button name in the Action Name field.
- Select the list to order from the Select list drop-down list.
- Select the line item to use to order the list from Select line item.
Only line items set up to define order criteria display.
- To determine whether the order is ascending or descending, select Ascending or Descending from Sort order.
- Click OK.
Your action displays under Other Actions in the Actions pane.
Publish an action to a dashboard
To run the action from a button on a dashboard, publish the action to a dashboard.
To publish the action to a dashboard:
- Click View in the toolbar.
- Select Publish to Dashboard.
- Select a dashboard to publish the action to.
Run an Order List action
Workspace administrators can run an Order List action from the action pane. Select the action, then click Run in the toolbar.
To use an Order List action on a dashboard, click the action button. A message asks you to confirm that you want to run the action. Click OK. The list items display in the order set by the line item values.
If the list displays on your dashboard, for example in a module, refresh the dashboard to display the change.