Spreads a value evenly over a number of whole periods.
This function is useful for calculating straight-line depreciation.
- x: Number - value to divide
- n: Number - number of periods
|Input Format||Output Format|
n: Number: Decimal converted to integer
The function uses the following arguments:
- x: Number: Numeric line item, property, or expression.
- n: Number: Numeric line item, property, or expression.
The function has the following constraints:
- This function divides a value over whole periods, so does not accept a decimal value for the number of periods.
- The time range providing arguments to a line item must match the time range for the result line item. Any formula that conflicts with this rule will be rejected. For more information, see Search.
- A non-time series function, used as a sub-expression of this function, must use the same time range as the line item to which the formula is applied. Combining time series functions and non-time series functions with a time range could return an unexpected result or an error message. For more information, see Time Ranges and Time Series Functions.
A module is configured to show Time in Columns with a Month time scale, with line items as Rows. Line items are Value to Spread and Spread.
SPREAD(Value to spread, 4)
is added to the Spread line item.
When a value 10000 is entered into the Value to Spread cell for January, the value is spread over the next 4 months.
If an additional value 4000 is added in March, that value is also spread over the next 4 months; the overlapping months are summed to provide a final figure (as long as the Summary Method for the row is set to SUM).