The Open Dashboard Action allows you to create a button on a dashboard that opens another dashboard.
When you create an Open Dashboard Action, you can configure:
- Button Text — enter text for the button label when the Action is published to a dashboard.
- Default Target Dashboard — define a target dashboard to open.
- Define Context List — select a list as the context for the Open Dashboard Action.
There are two ways you can use this context for an Open Dashboard Action:
- Simple Context— if you open a dashboard, select a single item in the context list, and click Open Dashboard, the target dashboard opens with that context list item pre-selected.
- Different Target Dashboards— if the selected context list has a list-formatted property, you can make the target dashboard conditional on the property value assigned to the context list item. This is selected on the launch dashboard when the Open Dashboard button is clicked.
- Open a Different Target Dashboard depending on Context List Property — if the context list has a list-formatted property, assign different target dashboards for different list property values.
This topic explains how to:
- Open a Dashboard Action with Context List and Publish to a Dashboard
- Open Dashboard Actions with a Context List
- Define Different Target Dashboards
- Open Dashboard Actions and Different Target Dashboards
- Troubleshoot Invalid Selections
Selective Access is imposed for Open Dashboard Actions. If a workspace administrator or end user clicks an Open Dashboard button, for a dashboard they do not have access to, the target dashboard is not displayed and a message advises the user that they do not have access.
However, workspace administrators can select a dashboard they do not have access to as a target dashboard when they configure an Open Dashboard Action.
You can create open dashboard actions in Model Settings > Actions.
There is a limit of 60 characters on the Open Dashboard Actionbutton text. A warning displays on the Open Dashboard dialog, if that limit is exceeded.
- In Model Settings > Actions, click the New Action button and select Open Dashboard.
- On the Open Dashboard dialog, configure the open dashboard action:
- Button text — enter the label text for the Open Dashboard button.
- Default Dashboard to open — select a default target dashboard for the Action.
- List Context — select a list as the context for the Action. On the launch dashboard, when users select an item in this list before clicking the Open Dashboard button, the target dashboard opens with that list item selected.
- Open a Different Dashboard Depending on List Property — this option is only enabled if you select a context list for the action that has at least one list-formatted property. In this example, the Products list is selected as the context for the Action. Because this list doesn't have a list-formatted property, the option for defining different target dashboards for the Action is not enabled. If you want to configure different target dashboards for the Action, see below.
You can use an Open Dashboard Action with a context list to ensure that the target dashboard for the Action opens with a pre-selected list item.
- Open a launch dashboard with an Open Dashboard button and a context list defined.
- Hover over the Open Dashboard button. A tooltip displays the target dashboard and the list defined as the context for the Action:
- On the dashboard grid, select a single item in the context list to be pre-selected when the target dashboard opens. You must select a single item — if you select multiple items, or items belonging to another list in the dashboard grid, the Open Dashboard Action will fail and an Invalid Selection message
displays. See Troubleshooting Invalid Selections.
- Click the Open Dashboard button to open the target dashboard.
You can use a list-formatted property of the context list to configure different targets for the Open Dashboard Action. This depends on the property value assigned to a list item selected prior to clicking the Open Dashboard button.
- In Settings tab, click Actions.
- On the New Action menu click Open Dashboard. The Open Dashboard dialog displays:
- Enter the required configuration. If you select a context list with a list-formatted property, the option to Open a Different Dashboard Depending on List Property is enabled. In the example, Sales Reps is selected as the context list and this has a list-formatted property called Rep Grade. The Rep Grade property is then available to open different target dashboards
depending on Rep Grade property values assigned to items belonging to the Sales Reps list.When you select a context list with a list formatted property, the default setting for this option is Not Applicable.
- Select the list-formatted property to define different target dashboards. The Open Dashboard dialog adjusts:
- Use the extra fields on the dialog to define different target dashboards for the list-formatted properties:
In this example, different target dashboards for sales predictions open for the Open Dashboard Action, depending on which Rep Grade property value has been assigned to each item of the Sales Reps list:
Workspace administrators can select any dashboard as a target for the action—even those they don't have access to.
- Click OK. The Open Dashboard dialog closes and the action is added under Other Actions. You can now publish the Open Dashboard Action —see Creating an Open Dashboard Action with Context List and Publishing to a Dashboard.
Open Dashboard buttons can have different target dashboards defined. The dashboard that opens will depend on a list property value assigned to the context list item selected before clicking the button. If you do not select an item in the context list with an alternative target dashboard defined for the list property value assigned to that list item, then a default target dashboard opens.
- Open a dashboard that contains an Open Dashboard button with different target dashboards defined.
- Hover over the Open Dashboard button. A tool tip displays the name of the target dashboard and the name of the context list:
In this example, the Show Sales Predictions Open Dashboard button will open the Regional Sales Predictions target dashboard for the current selection, John Jones, in the Sales Reps context list. If you change the context list selected on the launch dashboard, the tool tip will name a different target dashboard:
Here, the Local Sales Predictions target dashboard will open for the item selected in the Sales Reps context list, Thomas Turner.If you don't make a selection in the context list, or no specific target dashboard has been assigned for the context list item you select, then the tooltip will display the default target dashboard:
Here, there's no selection for the Sales Reps context list, as the top level for the list is selected. So, the default target dashboard for the action — Product Summary — will open.
- When you've made a selection on the launch dashboard, click the Open Dashboard button. The target dashboard will open:
In this example, John Jones was selected in the Sales Reps context list on the launch dashboard and the Regional Sales Predictions target dashboard has opened.
Please note: In situations where the launch dashboard has been opened and either:
- the assigned list property value of a context list item is changed; or
- the Open Dashboard Action is edited to change the assigned list property value to target dashboard pairing;
you must close and re-open the launch dashboard before using the Open Dashboard Action. This ensures the correct target dashboard opens for that context list item, and is an acknowledged constraint with the current implementation of the Open Dashboard Action.
An Open Dashboard Action with a context list defined won't work if you make an invalid selection on the launch dashboard grid before you click the Open Dashboard button. The system automatically checks your selection when you click the Open Dashboard button and if the selection is invalid, it blocks the Action and a message displays.
This section explains the behavior you should expect if you make invalid selections:
- Invalid Selections with Context List Defined
- Invalid Selections with Different Target Dashboards Defined
- If you select multiple items in a context list or you select an item in another, non-context list in the launch dashboard hierarchy, you'll see an Invalid Selection message.
You must select a single item in the context list before you click the Open Dashboard button again.
- If you select multiple items in the context list, because multiple items are selected, no single target dashboard can be identified, which is shown in the tool tip. An Invalid Selection message displays.
- If different target dashboards are configured for the Action and you select an item in another, non-context list in a launch dashboard hierarchy, the tooltip might show that no target dashboard is available. When you click the button, the default dashboard will open.