If you have dimensions that contain multiple levels, you can select items to show or hide from one or more levels. It's a great way to build different reporting views from the same module of data.
You can select levels in simple hierarchies (detail items, parent items, and line items) and composite hierarchies (lists with a parent hierarchy) by right-clicking on a list. Any selections are preserved if you change your view by pivoting your lists from one axis to another.
Level selections can't be made where:
- multiple items are selected on different dimensions in a grid,
- the grid is a module blueprint, or a list (published from the Settings tab),
- the list is Time or Versions or,
- the axis is empty.
You can select a level for a simple hierarchy containing detail items or summaries even if the list is flat at the time of selection. The selected behavior will affect what happens to the list in future if new levels are added. Lists that have a parent hierarchy (composite) begin with a top-level 'simple' list (that is, a list that doesn't have a parent). The top-level list has two levels - summaries and details. Other levels in the composite list can be selected independently, depending on what you want to view.
Make a selection
You can select levels to show by right-clicking on a row or column, via the Format menu, or by using the context menu at the end of a row or column label (to select levels in the dimension) . You can also apply Hide and Show at any point before or after a level selection.
- Select rows or columns and then right-click and click Select Levels to show.
- The name of each list in the hierarchy is displayed and selected. Up to 10 levels are shown as an indented list. Beyond 10, the levels are listed.
- Clear the check box for the levels you want to hide and click OK.The data will display without the items that were deselected.
- Level selections are not saved automatically. To save your selection, on the View menu click Save and then name the view.
Level selections are preserved if you pivot, unless the selections are part of a nested ragged selection (that is, a single occurrence of a data set within the module).
Remove a selection
You can easily remove a level selection.
- Right-click on a row or column, then click Show All Rows.
Once you've applied a level selection, you can change it using the Reselect Levels option.
- Right-click and click Reselect Levels.
- In the dialog, you can see the currently selected levels. You can select or deselect levels as required.
- Click OK to apply the selection.
If you have synchronization set on rows or columns, you can't select levels to show or hide. If you attempt to apply a level selection, a warning message will display.
- To apply the level selection, open Dashboard Designer and in the Selection Options section,clear the Synchronize Paging check box for the list. See Selections and Synchronization.