You can create a waterfall chart from data in a simple list or from line items. You should consider these points before selecting data:
- Composite lists (parent hierarchies) cannot be used to create a waterfall chart.
- Any line items that don't have a parent are ignored, and will not be included in the waterfall chart.
Only a single column of data is used to generate a waterfall chart. If you select multiple columns, only the data from the first column will be used to generate the chart.
The list or line items must always be on rows and any non-numeric data in the selection is ignored.
Aggregates are only displayed if all the values selected are aggregates of the same value type.
If there are two consecutive aggregates of the same value in the hierarchy, the aggregate closest to the top of the hierarchy is displayed — see the example below.
Waterfall charts will always display an end total. If the waterfall chart finishes on a valid aggregate it will take the name of that aggregate as the label for the total. If it does not finish on an aggregate, the chart will automatically generate a total based on the preceding values. The chart displays End Total as the label.
Although the default colors are green for an Increment, red for a Decrement, and blue for Totals, you can choose different colors in Chart Options when generating the chart.
The first color in the palette is assigned to the first value; the second color is assigned to the second value; and so on. If there are more than nine values, the color sequence begins again. Further occurrences of a value will share the same color.
- Select a single column of data.
- Click the Chart button on the Anaplan Toolbar and select Waterfall Chart.
The Chart Options dialog displays:
- Set the Chart Options.
- If required, select Auto Axis or Rotate Axes
- To hide any items with a value of zero, select the Hide Detail Zero Values check box. For waterfall charts, this only hides increments and decrements, not aggregates.
- To choose a different color for a series, click the colored box next to the series name (Increment, Decrement, Totals) and select a color from the palette.
- Click Publish to Dashboard and select a target dashboard. The waterfall chart is displayed on the dashboard: