History enables you to see how and when a model was changed and by whom. You can also view all changes made to a module or a range of cells in a module. In dashboards, your users can view the change history, or restore previous cell values, for:
- a single data cell or column
- a range of cells or columns
- an entire grid (Workspace Administrators only)
Although a Breakback operation can update many cells, this shows as a single event in History.
When you build and develop a model, it's saved by historical ID as you make your changes. If you want to undo recent changes and return to an earlier point, you can restore the model to a historical ID.
The History option in Model Settings displays the last 1,000 changes made to the model. There's no limit to the age of items in the History option. The History option shows what the change was, who made the change, and when. You can filter the changes by date.
- In Model Settings, click History.
- To view History for:
- All changes that occurred over the past 24 hours, select the default option, Last 24 hours.
- The entire change history, select All.
- A particular period, select Date range and then choose From and To dates. If you:
- Leave the From and To fields blank, all results display.
- Select a From date but leave the To field blank, all results from the selected date until today's date display.
- Leave the From date blank but select a To date, all results until the selected date display.
- If you want to save the export as an Action for later use:
- Select the Save Options checkbox.
- If needed, edit the name for the Action.
- Click Show History. A maximum of 1,000 model changes are shown.
- To save the complete list of changes, click Export. The export process respects any date filters you have set and only those results appear in the text file. Changes to the model are listed in reverse chronological order with the most recent change shown first.
- Click OK to close the dialog.
If you view the model history filtered by date, you may see the message No changes found for selection. This is because only the last 1,000 changes are shown. If you're expecting to see model changes but instead receive a message that no changes are found, export. The exported file displays all changes for the selected date range.
Because the index of cell changes must be initialized for each model, a timeout error, History truncated after 20s, may display. If this happens, please view the change history again.
Specific changes recorded
The change history of a model records one or more specific changes when a user adds, edits, deletes, or renames one of the following:
- Currency qualifiers
- Functional Areas
- Import Data Sources
- Import source mappings
- Integration runs, to include those via CloudWorks
- Line item subsets
- Line items
- List properties
- Lists, to include list items
- Revision tags
- Saved views
- Subsets of lists
- Time settings
- Undo operations.
- Users with a standard email login and Internal (Full access), as defined in CloudWorks
Changes made to elements not listed above, such as exports, appear in the change history with the general description Model change (no details available). These changes include:
Changes to the Message of the Day in Workflow
Changes to Show New Content or Boolean values in Contents
Selection of a set dashboard
Use of the Personal Views Enabled toggle
Addition of line items to a line item subset
Responses to workflow events in Workflow
Changes to the model mode
Specific changes are also recorded when a user runs most types of import.
You can synchronize a target model with a source model as part of Application Lifecycle Management (ALM). When you do this, the start and end points of the synchronization display in History in the target model. The restore points at the start and end of synchronization are:
- Begin sync revision, which marks the start of a synchronization
- Sync revision complete, which marks the end of a successful synchronization
- Sync revision unsuccessful, which marks the end of an unsuccessful synchronization
If your synchronization is unsuccessful, the target model reverts to its pre-synchronization state. The Begin sync revision and Sync revision unsuccessful historical IDs are preserved as a record in the History.
Bulk data changes for imports
The change history records a "Bulk data change" when a user:
- Imports a module from another Anaplan model
- Imports a new or existing list with corresponding list properties
Imported list properties do not appear in the change history as separate changes. For example, if you update two list properties for a large list of products via a list import, the change history records the following:
Import these elements in bulk to improve the speed and performance of list and module imports.
Changes that include access drivers are recorded in the change history of a model as Security Changes.
|Value of "Security Change" field||Description|
Indicates that an access driver was:
|NULL||Indicates that an access driver wasn't involved in the change.|
Access drivers are a component of Dynamic Cell Access.
All users can view data changes for a single module or selected cells. Modeling changes are not shown. All user access permissions set within the model are respected.
The Show History menu option is always available in a module. Within a dashboard grid, it's available only if your workspace administrator has enabled it. If this option does not display, check with your workspace administrator. To access Show History:
- In a module, or on a grid on a dashboard, select the cells for which you want to view change history.
- View the Show History menu in one of the following ways:
- Right-click the highlighted cells to view the context menu, then click Show History
- In modules, in the toolbar, click Data > Show History
- In dashboards, in the Dashboard Element menu for the grid, click Show History
- Under Show History, you can view the change history for:
- The previous 24 hours, 7 days, or 30 days
- All changes made since the module or grid was created
- A specified date range
For dashboard grids, you can revert to a previous value if you copy the cell value and paste it into the grid.
Since a Breakback calculation can cause many cell values to change, a single entry is recorded for the Breakback operation. The number of cells edited and affected displays in the Description field, and the other fields are empty.
When you view model history from the Settings tab, you can restore the model to an earlier version by ID.
- In the History dialog, select the ID that you want to revert to, and then click Restore to ID.
- A dialog appears with the ID of the restore point you entered. If you want to revert to a different historical model version, you can overwrite the entered restore point ID.
- If you click Restore to ID and do not select a restore point from the model history, the default restore point is the ID immediately before the current model version ID.
- Click Restore.
A confirmation dialog appears.
- Click OK.
The model is restored to the entered ID restore point.
- Go to the Settings tab again and click History.
The current model version is listed as restored from an earlier version. You can check the restore point ID.
Restore models in Deployed mode
You can only restore models in Deployed mode to a restore point ID after the most recent synchronization. Deployed mode is an ALM feature.