When you convert a normal hierarchical list into a numbered list, the names are replaced by numbered IDs (#IDs).
To preserve the existing names and use them as display names:
- In Model Settings select Lists and Roll Ups , the list to be converted, and then click Open.
- On the Properties tab, click the Insert button and add a new property called Display Name and set the Format to Text.
- In the Formula box, enter a formula that copies the existing names into this display name property. For example:
Formula = NAME(ITEM(MyList))
- In Grid View, check that the existing names have been copied into the display name property.
- On the Properties tab, remove the display name property formula.
You must do this before converting to a numbered list otherwise the display name property will be overridden with #IDs. The display names should remain in place.
- In Settings click Lists and Roll Ups then click General Lists.
- To convert the list from a normal hierarchy to a numbered list, select the Numbered check box. Set the display name to be the Display Name property you created earlier.
The list is now a numbered list with the old display names preserved. After entering new items, the display name property will need to be filled in, otherwise it will just show the #ID.