Add Images to Dashboards
You can include multiple images in a dashboard using the image placeholder dashboard element. Images on dashboards are especially useful for helping users to identify products by their image, rather than by a product code or SKU.
Before inserting images, you must first create line items that contain or reference the URLs of the images you want to display. These line items must be formatted as Text and have a type of Link. Image URLs can be added to lists as properties and then referenced in a module — for more information, seeManage product images in a centralized module.
https://— and end with the image type PNG, JPG, JPEG, or GIF. Images on dashboards are not included when exporting dashboards to PDF (white space is displayed instead).
Add an image to a dashboard
- In the dashboard, open the Dashboard Designer by clicking Edit.
- Click Add Image.
- If the Properties panel is not already open, click the Open Properties Panel icon.
- In the Image section of the Properties panel, click Select line item and then select the module and line item that contains or references the image you want to add.
- In the Height and Width section, use the Percentage or Pixels options to view and adjust the dimensions of the image placeholder element. You can also drag the arrowhead in the bottom-right corner of the image placeholder element to resize it (the aspect ratio of the image is always maintained).
- To add the image, click Save or Save & Exit on the dashboard toolbar.
The image placeholder element is added to the bottom of the canvas:
The linked image is loaded in the image placeholder element. If the image is unavailable — because the network connection is lost, or the image isn’t on the server — a white space is displayed.
For more information on resizing dashboard images, see Height and Width.
If you're using images on dashboards to display product images, we recommend that you manage the product image URLs and product information in one centralized module. That way, any change to a product image is reflected in all other modules that reference the centralized module.
Using a centralized module to store product image URLs has the following advantages:
- It's easier to trace the line item through the model map
- The content can be filtered in the module
- Summary options are available
- The Formula Bar won't be empty if there's an error while constructing a formula
You can add a formula that returns the image URL as a line item value in a reference module. When the module is published to a dashboard, you can add an image placeholder that displays the linked image. This helps users identify the product.
In this example, we have a list, ProductImageURLs, with a property, ImageURL, that holds the URL for the image.
The module Retail Products displays the ProductImageURLs list on rows, and line items in columns.
The line item, Image, contains the formula ProductImageURLs.Image URL to return the image property for each item in the ProductImageURLs list.