Why do filter rules become invalid?
A filter rule on a worksheet or card becomes invalid when:
- a line item can't be found, usually because it has been deleted or selective access has been changed.
- a list or list item can't be found, usually because it has been deleted or selective access has been changed.
- a line item is list- or version-formatted and the list or version it references has been deleted.
- the dimensionality of a line item has been changed through the Applies to column within Blueprint.
- the data format of a line item has been changed, for example, from number-formatted to text-formatted.
Invalid filter rule warning
If a filter rule is invalid, a warning displays on the filter icon within the Card designer or Worksheet designer. To ensure your filter rules are valid, it's good practice to always check for warnings when editing custom views.
Locate an invalid filter rule
If you see a warning on the filter icon, you can locate exactly which filter rule is making the filter invalid:
- Click the filter icon.
The Filter panel displays.
- Within the Filter panel, a warning icon displays next to the Rows or Columns heading, indicating the location of the invalid filter rule.
- Click the Rows or Columns heading to view the filter rules for either dimension.
A message displays where a filter rule is invalid and cannot be loaded:
How to fix an invalid filter rule
When a filter rule becomes invalid, you can remove it or build a new one:
- To remove a filter rule, click the trash can icon in its top-right corner.
- To rebuild a filter rule, click the Current module or Select line item dropdown and make a selection. Then follow the same steps as when you create a filter; the invalid filter rule warning disappears.