Create a form to enable users to add items to a list, along with list properties and line item values.
Lists, list properties, and line items are configured in the source model of a page.
Lists can be organized into list hierarchies to enable data from child items to roll up to a parent item. For example, a city is a child of a country, and a country is a child of a region.
As a page builder, you can select a parent item for all list items added via a form. Alternatively, you can enable users to select a parent item for each list item added via a form.
Note that if the list is part of a composite list, you can choose only a parent item that is in the parent list of the list the form belongs to. For example, a composite list might combine a Cities list and a Countries list — you cannot select a city to be the parent of another city; you must select a parent from the Countries list.
To create a form:
- Open Form designer, and
- Configure a form.
Open Form designer
Forms are created using Form designer.
To navigate to Form designer:
- Open your page in designer mode. Click the Edit this page (pencil) icon in the toolbar.
- If you need a new action card:
- For worksheets, configure the Additional Insights, then add a new Action card from the Cards panel
- For boards, add a new Action card from the Cards panel
- Choose from where you want to add the notification action. Click:
- The Configure action button in a new action card, to add an action button to the card
- Configure actions in the (...) menu of an existing action card, to add an action to the card's (...) menu
- An action card's Edit icon, to add an action to the action card
- For a worksheet page, you can also click the Configure worksheet actions button in the toolbar.
- In the Actions tab of the right-hand side panel, click the Create dropdown, and select Form.
The Form designer displays.
Configure a form
The preview in the center of the Form designer displays a preview of any changes that you make to a form.
Use the left panel to select and configure input fields to include in the form:
- Enter a name that displays on the form in the Form title field.
- From the Choose list drop-down menu, choose the list you want the form to add items to.
The left panel and form preview in the center of the screen update to reflect your selection.
- Optionally, if the list has one or more list subsets, the Subset drop-down menu displays and you can select a subset.
This configures the form to add items to the selected subset.
If no subset is selected, the form adds items to the list selected in the Choose list drop-down menu.
If the subset is deleted, the form still adds items to the list it belonged to.
- Under the Properties heading, enable any properties you want users to be able to add in the form.
To configure which character type users may enter for a property, hover your cursor over a text-formatted list item in the form preview and click the cog that appears in its top-right.
You can enable read-only list properties, such as those that contain formulas, in Form designer. However, they will not display in the form.
- Use Allow user to choose a parent to determine if users can assign a parent to list items:
- Enable to allow users to select a parent item from a drop-down menu when they complete the form.
- Disable to display a drop-down menu where you can select a parent item. The parent item is fixed and users cannot select a different parent item. If no parent is selected, any items added to a list are created without a parent.
- Optionally, if you want the form to add values to line items, click the drop-down menu under the Choose module heading. Then select the module that contains line items you want the form to add to.
A list of line items displays under the heading Line items. These display only if they use the list you selected, under the Choose list drop-down menu, as a dimension.
Enable any line items you want the user to be able to add values to. Once enabled, context selectors display in the top-right of the Form designer.
- Optionally, if you've enabled the submission of values for line items, see Configure the context selectors, below.
- Click Create.
This creates your form and returns you to the Configure worksheet actions panel.
Configure the context selectors
Optionally, if you have enabled the submission of values for line items, configure the context selectors in the top-right of the Form designer.
- Select a value from the context selector to determine the default location where a form submits line item values within the module.
- Click the cog icon on the left of a context selector to show further options you can configure (Click Apply to save any changes made):
- Copy from page. Enable this to make the form open with the same values on context selectors as the page it's opened from;
- Show on page. Select: Off to not show the context selector on the form, Label to display the context selector as a label, or Selector to display the context selector; or
- Levels to show. Select the checkboxes under this to determine which levels of a list hierarchy display on the context selector.