A line item subset is a list of line items from the same module or different modules in a model.
Use line item subsets to:
- Narrow down a large list of line items to a smaller group.
- Group calculations together from different modules.
- Group line items from different modules into one list.
You can use the COLLECT function in a module that includes a line item subset. COLLECT() pulls the line item values into the target module from the source modules.
Line item subsets do not have list properties.
Some use cases for line item subsets are:
- Currency conversion.
- To apply a percentage growth to last year's income statement.
- To convert invoiced amounts to cash for cash-flow forecasting.
If you have a parent line item in a line item subset, but not all of its children, the value of the parent is only calculated from the line items in the line item subset.
For example, the parent line item, Total Expenses, has the sum:
Salary + Bonus + Car Costs + Phone Costs + Medical Costs
However, the Expenses line item subset only contains the Total Expenses, Salary, Bonus, and Car Costs line items.
In modules where the line item subset Expenses is used as a dimension, Total Expenses is then calculated by:
Salary + Bonus + Car Costs
If none of the line items in the sum are included in the line item subset, Total Expenses appears as a leaf item in the line item subset.