As a workspace administrator, you can set up a create action. Create actions enable users to add a new item to a numbered list from a dashboard. You can also configure the action to open another dashboard at the same time. For example, a dashboard that enables users to enter additional information about the item.
You can only use Create to add new items to numbered lists, or numbered list subsets. The list or list subset must be assigned a parent in the list hierarchy. You can't choose the Users list to be the numbered list or parent list.
Before you add the Create action, create the dashboard that you want the action to open. You can publish dashboard elements to the dashboard, such as a module view that displays the list, list properties, or line items.
When you set up the action, you can choose to enable:
- Prompt for Parent(s)
- Prompt to show all/ recently created only
Prompt for Parent(s) enables the user to select a parent or parents to create items under when the action runs. If you don't select this option, then when the user runs the action:
- And the user hasn't selected any other dashboard element, then the first item in the parent list becomes the parent.
- And the user interacts with a parent on the dashboard, then the item from the parent list they most recently interacted with becomes the parent.
Prompt to show all/ recently created only enables users to choose to display on the dashboard only those items created at the time they run the action. If you want to select this option, ensure that the module view you publish to the dashboard has the relevant list of rows or columns. The prompt doesn't display if you pivot the list to be on pages.
To set up a create action:
- In the Actions tab of the Actions pane, select New Action from the toolbar at the top.
- Select Create from the menu.
- Enter the button name in the Button text field.
Follow best practice name conventions to ensure the action is easy to identify.
- In the Create item in dropdown, select the list or list subset in which you want to create an item.
Only numbered lists and numbered list subsets are available to select.
- In the Default Dashboard to open dropdown, select the dashboard you want the action to open.
- Optionally, select the checkbox for:
- Prompt for Parent(s), if you want the action to prompt users to select an item to be the parent of the new item they create
- Prompt to show all/ recently created only, if you want to enable users to restrict the items that display on the target dashboard to those that have been recently created.
- Select OK.
- Publish the action to a dashboard.
If your role does not have access to the list, the code
#ERROR# displays in the Action column of the Action tab for that action. However, the action is valid and the error does not display to users who have the necessary access permissions.