Chart settings enable you to customize chart cards so that they can be easily understood by end users.
When you create or edit a chart card, you can configure it in the right-hand side Card configuration panel:
- Under Overview, general settings, such as title, links, and chart type
- Under Chart settings, such as the formatting of the data series and axis labels on your chart
- Under Context, settings for your data in the model, and hierarchy filters for rows and columns
Select the Overview tab to configure the following options:
Use the View designer button to select a view or design a custom view on a model.
Enter a title that displays in the top-left of the card.
You can enter a description that displays as a tooltip for your chart card. This displays when a user hovers their cursor over the blue (i) icon to the right of a chart card's title.
Link to a page
From the Link to a page dropdown, if you select a page within the current app, the title of the chart card links to the selected page.
Use links alongside logical titles to guide users to additional information for their planning activities. For example, a worksheet containing the data a chart is based on.
If the card has no title configured, the title of the linked page displays as the title of the card.
Select the chart type from the Chart type dropdown.
Detailed chart settings
View the Chart tab of the Configure card panel to customize your charts further with these options. Expand sections Axis, Labels, or Data, to change the options within.
The settings available under the Data option depend on the Chart type you configure.
When you configure an area, combination, dot, or line chart, the Plot trailing zeros toggle displays under the Data option. If your data series ends with values that are zero, toggle to the right to display the zeros. Toggle to the left to hide them. Use this option when you do not have values for future months, but still want to display them on your chart.
When you configure a waterfall chart, Data enables you to choose how each line item displays in the waterfall chart. You can:
- change the color of Increments, Decrements, and Totals. Select the colored box icon next to the category you want to change the color for. In the drop-down palette that displays, select a different color.
The defaults are green for Increments, red for Decrements, and gray for Totals.
- suppress zeros. Toggle the switch to remove any line items with a value of zero from your waterfall chart.
- set the First item as total. Toggle the switch to change the first column to the same color as the final total. Use this option to display the transition between equivalent starting and finishing values (such as financial years).
Configure the data series on a chart card to determine how each of your line items displays on a chart.
Define configuration elements that make reading data easier or highlight aspects of the data rendered in the chart. You can define labels to display next to the vertical or horizontal axis, or change the background grid.
In area, bar and column, combination, dot, scatter and bubble, and line charts you have custom scaling options for your axes. These allow you to set minimum and maximum values for each axis, including for a secondary axis in combination, and scatter and bubble charts, if the option for a secondary axis has been activated in the Series section of the Chart tab. The default value for the scale in each axis is set to Auto, but other options include Fixed or Fixed-auto. These behave in the following manner:
- Auto scale, automatically sizes the chart's axis to accommodate the lowest and highest values in the data
- Fixed scale, allows you to set a minimum and maximum value for the scale, independent of the data in the series
- Fixed-auto scale, allows you to set a minimum and maximum value for the scale, but will automatically adjust the chart to encompass the highest or lowest value on the axis
Note: Chart axis scaling is not available in map, pie, donut, gantt and waterfall charts.
In a waterfall chart, the Auto axis toggle displays in the Axis section. Toggle right to change the minimum value of the y-axis. This makes the columns for small intermediate values larger and easier to compare. Toggle left to display the full y-axis.
Rotate axes also displays in the Axis section for a waterfall chart. Toggle right to swap the horizontal and vertical axes.
Choose where you want the legend to display and whether you want data labels to be on or off. Data labels help users to identify the exact values for points on the chart. Once you enable labels, you can adjust their font size for ease of viewing. Use the Chart font size dropdown to select a size option.
For pie and donut charts, you can also toggle Show percentages to show percentages in the data labels.
If a context is available for the view, you can change their options in the Context tab.
You can configure all available context selectors with their cog icon, choosing whether to Sync with page, and how to show the context selector on the card: Off, Label or Selector.
You can apply hierarchy filters to your chart. The Rows and Columns headings refer to the rows and columns of the view that your chart card is based on. To apply hierarchy filters for Rows or Columns, toggle the switch to the right of the dimension name.